Monday, September 15, 2008

The One That Loves Me

Strike Witches-fanfic. The aftermath of a battle leads to some unusual reactions and revelations for Sanya and Eila.
Sequel to "The One That Loves You" and "In The Cards".
(Eila/Sanya)



Read The One That Loves Me








Disclaimer: All things Strike Witches belong to Gonzo and a bunch of others, though I’m sure I’m not hurting anything by borrowing them for a bit.

Sequel to “The One That Loves You” and “In The Cards”.



The One That Loves Me
-----------------------------------
by Carola “Ryûchan” Eriksson




There are different kinds of waking up. One can ‘wake up’ to the realisation that you are in love with your best friend, or ‘wake up’ to the knowledge that you have been an utter ignorant fool. You can even wake up to the knowledge that you are the most stinking lucky woman in the world, or...

...you can just wake up.

I open my eyes to blurry whiteness, something which generally speaking is not what I am used to when looking straight up at my ceiling. Reluctantly my eyes clear and focus, and I am better able to tell the whitewashed surface to be the ceiling of the medical wing. Ah, okay. I close my eyes again.

Wait, what? The medical wing? Why am I here?

Eyes open again I try to move, only to find that my limbs are sluggish and largely unresponsive. I ache all over as well, but then again I am a soldier on the frontlines of the war, I usually ache someplace. What is more peculiar is this feeling of being completely washed out.

The window is the first thing that draws my attention. There are no drapes that cover them so I can see the sunlight and the blue skies from here, though I’m not sure why I feel that this is important. Perhaps I’ve just been assigned to night duty for too long.

I listen to the quiet for a moment, feeling peaceful despite the fact that I am tired as anything and can’t recall why I’m here. It takes me a moment to realise that I hear someone breathing.

Sanya. Of course, that is Sanya’s breathing, a sound I am very familiar with from all the days and nights we tend to sleep together. No wonder I felt peaceful.

Sanya is sitting next to the hospital bed, for indeed I am lying in one, resting her head partly on the mattress and partly on me, and she has a surprisingly firm grip on my arm for someone who is sleeping. I manage to get my other arm to obey me enough to shakily reach over to brush her hair out of her lovely face.

The sight of that beloved face ravaged by tears nearly manage to make me spring to my feet, weakness or no. Only the thought that she will be jostled awake manage to stop me somewhere between lying down and sitting up.

What has made my precious Sanya suffer so? I must remember. Concentrating hard things begin to come back to me, though far slower than I would have liked.

I remember that we were chatting about going to the sauna after our duty shift was over, Sanya, myself and the others, when the alarm sounded for another Neuroi attack. We were launched quickly and caught up to the Neuroi well over the ocean... there was a thunderstorm on the way, the skies thick with dark clouds and savage winds, and we were supposed to dispose of this latest attacker as quickly as possible before the lightning started. Flying in rain is in some ways similar to flying in darkness, visibility can go down to nearly nothing, and it is dangerous for those that aren’t accustomed to it. Flying in a thunderstorm however is darn near suicidal.

We were rearranged into a formation with Sanya at the lead point and me and Miyafuji flanking her, and then we engaged the enemy. I think I can pretty much recall every manoeuvre I performed, every charge I made or assisted in, until Sanya made the kill.

N-no, wait... something happened then, didn’t it?

My memories begin to get hazy at around that point. Let’s see, we were high up, driven right into the clouds during the battle with the Neuroi, and we could barely make out one another when flying took us a bit further apart. I was right in front of Sanya when she fired the finishing shot, providing a little extra shielding for her from the intense barrage of fire the Neuroi kept up right until it disintegrated.

Oh... I think I remember now. Just as Sanya had fired, while everyone was focused on the soon to be former Neuroi, I heard Sanya make an alarmed sound. I turned just in time to see Sanya try to bring her shield around, staring at something in the clouds behind us.

A Neuroi, wasn’t it? A strange-looking small one, I wonder how it could have gotten past Sanya’s senses, but either way it was there.

I... released my own shield and dashed in front of Sanya just as the second Neuroi fired. Yes, I think that’s what happened... I somehow got my shield up in time to take the brunt of the attack but not all of it, which must mean that I got hit by some stray blasts.

Sanya whimpers in her sleep, and as I carefully stroke her hair hoping to drive the bad dreams away I realise that I do remember what happened after that.

There was no pain, just a bit of confusion as I was suddenly in Sanya’s arms, probably thrown there by the force of what hit me, and I wondered why she was bathed in red. I tried to say something but couldn’t, and the image of horrified emerald eyes became very distant, until I couldn’t see anything at all.

The last thing I remember of that fight is the horrible, terrible sound of Sanya screaming, first my name and then just screaming, so loud and heartbreaking that it cut right through me. After that, everything is darkness.

“N-no... Eila...” Sanya is whimpering in her sleep, tears leaking out from behind closed lids. I try to gently shake her awake, the sound and sight of her suffering cutting into me like Major Sakamoto’s sword through Neuroi. “Eila! Don’t take Eila away! EILA!”

She screams herself awake, bolting to her feet with a wild yet heartbroken look on her face while the tears pour down her pale cheeks like waterfalls.

“Sanya? Sanya calm down, I’m right here.” At first it seems like she doesn’t hear me, she just stares into nothingness with that expression on her face like she has lost everything. “Sanya?”

Finally she must have heard me, for she blinks slowly and turns to me. Only at this moment do I notice that Sanya is not wearing her usual uniform but a large white shirt that I’m sure I’ve never seen in her wardrobe. Sanya blinks again, several times, and slowly that painful expression in her eyes melts away and the light I so love returns. “...E-Eila?”

“EILA!”

Before I can really react to it Sanya has hurled herself at me with such force that she veritably tackles me flat to the mattress with her sprawled out on top of me. She grabs onto me rather hard and sobs into my shoulder, repeating my name over and over.

“...Eila, Eila, Eila, Eila, Eila, my Eila, my brave, wonderful Eila, Eila, Eila...”

I embrace her back, hold her tight and try my best to comfort, to tell her that I am alright, even though my thoughts are whirling. ‘My Eila’, is it? I’m hers? Oh my sweet, sweet Sanya, you have no idea how much. I think I might just be yours forever.

“It’s ok Sanya... I’m right here, I’ve got you.” I speak to her softly and stroke her hair, pushing the other thoughts aside for now. I’ll figure out later what she might mean by that, right now I have to take care of Sanya.

As she clings to me desperately, saying my name into the shoulder she is crying on, a few other fragments of memories flicker through my mind. I’m not sure I can make sense of them as they really are just a few distorted images, of dark skies rushing by, of Sanya covered in blood, my blood I suppose, and of... blue light covering the world?

I kiss the top of her head and just hold her, maybe rocking her ever so slightly while making some kind of comforting noises, but mostly I just let her get it out. I want to apologise to her for making her so sad and upset, but this isn’t the time for that. I will have to find a way to make it up to her later.

“Glad to see that you are awake.” A quiet and deep-pitched voice speaks up from the direction of the door, almost making me jump in surprise. I hadn’t heard anyone come in.

“Major Sakamoto...” I greet the woman leaning in the doorway but trail off as I notice how tired my otherwise so unflappable superior officer looks.

“She hasn’t left your side since they let her in here.” Sakamoto continues in the same tone of voice as she approaches the side of the bed, gracing my Sanya with a small and surprisingly fond smile. Sanya herself shows no sign that she has noticed that there is anyone else in the room with us. “Ah, that’s right, Shirley managed to drag her off for a short bath while Miyafuji and the doctors were working on you, of course.”

She hasn’t left my side? Oh Sanya. “How long have I...”

“Four days.” I wince at that but Sakamoto does not notice. “Your roommate woke up yesterday though.”

Roommate? Does she mean Sanya? No, wait... blue light... of course. “Miyafuji. She healed me, didn’t she?” Even though her lack of control over her healing powers can end up killing her if she uses them. “Probably saved my life, too. How is she?”

“She drained herself badly enough to have slept for most part of three days,” Here Sakamoto’s eyes were drawn back towards the door and what lay beyond it. I guess I can imagine why she looks tired now. “but she is fine now, and eager to see you now that you’re awake.”

Whatever else either of us would have said about it was lost as Sanya, apparently done crying for now, sat up and unceremoniously scrubbed her face on the oversized shirt she was wearing. Undoubtedly the shirt belongs to Shirley, I must remember to thank her for taking care of Sanya in my place.

I opened my mouth to ask if Sanya was alright, but that was as far as I got. Pale slender hands reached up to cup my face, and briefly I caught a flash of liquid green.

Suddenly Sanya’s lips are pressed firmly and insistently against mine for a good long moment.

My brain short-circuits, and by the time she releases me I am no longer breathing, there is a deafening roar in my ears, and the room outside of Sanya’s beautiful blushing face is rippling and buckling.

“Never leave me, Eila.”

I never have the chance to reflect over the quiet intensity of her plea or how it pierces my heart, for as soon as the words are spoken Sanya’s lips find mine again. This time it is even sweeter somehow, filled with longing and brings with it the faint taste of tears.

The world tilts on its axis and goes dark.

----------------------------------

The next time I open my eyes it is to the sight of Major Sakamoto towering over me with a wryly amused look on her. I blink at her for a long moment and do my best to focus. No offence to the Major, but hers is not a face I particularly want to wake up to, even if she seems to be in a good mood.

Someone tugs at her arm and the Major steps back to be replaced by a younger and far more cheerful face. “Eila-san! You’re awake!”

Miyafuji isn’t using her abilities right now, yet I swear I can see that tail wagging. I chuckle at her and pat her head though I am still a bit woozy. “Hey you. Yeah, I’m awake, all thanks to you I hear.”

Oh yeah, that tail is wagging alright.

“Oh! I’m glad I could help!” Although Miyafuji is happy and cheerful it is quite clear that she is still very worn out. I feel a bit guilty for that, though mostly just grateful. “Anything for my friends.”

As she says this Miyafuji looks to the other side of the bed, and when I follow her gaze I find Sanya sitting there quite demurely, hands in her lap and her eyes averted. She is wearing her usual uniform again, and from the way the edges of her bangs seem to be slightly wet I get the impression that she has recently gone to wash herself up.

This is when I remember what happened before my... unfortunate... blackout, and Sanya and I both blush profusely.

I need to talk to her. I need to find out if she meant what she did the way I most desperately hope she did – and oh if she did, whoa, then I can go out and defeat every single Neuroi all by myself because I will be invincible!

As anxious and nervous as I feel about what Sanya might be thinking, I am still overcome with the urge to simply grab the girl and run for it. The most sparkling and amazing image comes to mind, of Sanya in my arms, of white clothes and shining Strikers, of bells and blue skies and all of our friends as cupids, throwing confetti and playing trumpets... the sugary girly-girlishness of it all embarrasses me, so I shake my head to get back to reality.

“I’m glad to see that you are doing better.” I’m a little startled to hear Lynette’s lilting voice because I had not realised that she was in the room. Looking for her I find her standing slightly behind Major Sakamoto, smiling gently as usual, with a frowning Perrine leaning on the wall behind her. As I thank Lynette I get a somewhat terse nod and a troubled look from Perrine, conveying her concern for a comrade and her well-wishes all in one go.

“We should leave you to your other visitors now, so you don’t, ahh, overdo it again.” Sakamoto takes a small step forward and puts her hands on Miyafuji’s shoulders. “And you still need to rest, as well.” This was directed at Miyafuji and not me, thankfully distracting me from thinking too much about what Sakamoto was really talking about.

“C’mere.” I tell Miyafuji, holding out my arms while grinning at her. She giggles and happily accepts my hug. “You saved me.” I tell her quietly. “Thank you.”

As we let go and Miyafuji leave the room with Sakamoto and the others I notice that Sanya is frowning. There’s no opportunity to ask what is wrong since the previously mentioned second group of visitors enter. I’ve barely exchanged greetings with Barkhorn before Shirley ambles over and, after a swift but frankly quite painful jab to my upper arm, grabs me in a hug.

“Thank you for looking after Sanya for me.” I tell my comrade in mischief quietly as I hug her back. It is good to know that if anything should happen to me our friends will look out for her.

“No problem. What are friends for? Just... make sure we won’t need to do it again anytime soon.” Shirley replies equally quietly so no-one will overhear. “That girl is crazy about you.” She grins and punches my arm again as she steps back.

I don’t get the time to consider what Shirley told me as the instant she steps back I am fiercely charged by a wild animal. Well, by Lucchini actually, but she’s half cat anyway, and whether she is trying to hug me or just strangle me is anybody’s guess.

“Stupid! Stupid stupid stupid stupidstupidstupid! Never do that again, stupid!”

I nod a little and agree, what else can I do? “I promise I’ll try.”

“Good!” Apparently I have appeased her, because the stranglehold lets up. I pat her head like I did Miyafuji’s and she tries to glare at me, the effect is ruined though by the fact that she is crying a little. Before I know it she has darted forward and kissed my cheek, then bounced off the bed and bounded off to cling to Shirley. The two of them make it out of the room before I’ve even registered what Lucchini did.

“It seems someone is getting an awful lot of love today.” Barkhorn sounds dry enough, but I can still tell from here that she’s laughing inside. Glaring at her is absolutely ineffective too, so I guess I’ll just have to sulk. A glance at Sanya reveals to my surprise that not only is she still frowning, Sanya is pouting and look rather... angry.

Lucchini is rapidly replaced by Hartmann, and only my confusion keeps me from throwing her across the room. I don’t like that gleam in her eyes, what is she up to now?

She throws her arms around me and squeals. “Eeeiilaa, I want hugs and kisses and snuggles with you tooo!” She tops her performance off with that gleaming smile she has that makes the civilian girls swoon when she walks by, and a batting of her lashes that chills me to the bone. Facing Neuroi is less scary than this.

The world is violently jostled around again, and I dread what new surreal experience I’ll have the next time I open my eyes.

When the room stops moving this time though, the world is by far a better place. Why? Because I find myself in Sanya’s surprisingly possessive embrace.

Even though she is furious and glaring daggers at Hartmann, my Sanya is beautiful beyond words.

Hartmann grins unrepentantly though she is yanked out of the room by her ear by an apologetic and terribly embarrassed Barkhorn, while Sanya is thoroughly cleaning my apparently offensively dirtied cheek and frowning. While I don’t really care about the former, the latter has me just about ecstatic.

Finally alone. I smile happily at her.

“You don’t like it when other people get too close to me, huh?” Sanya gives a guilty start, and blushes. Good, while the frowning and pouting was cute and all, a smile or a blush looks even better on her.

“That’s ok Sanya...” I tell her and lean my forehead against hers. “I don’t like it when other people get too close to you either.”

Aww, now that was the smile I was hoping to see... no, wait, why are those gorgeous green eyes tearing up?

“Eila...” Sanya’s voice is shaky, tinted with pain. “I almost lost you.” A beat. “Please don’t ever go where I can’t follow.”

“I’m sorry.” I hold her closer and press a kiss to her forehead. “I would never leave you willingly, Sanya.”

“I want to be with you always.” She whispers, and a small hand sweetly touches the side of my face. “Only you, Eila.”

I want to cry now too, getting all choked up with emotion. Instead I wipe her tears away and place an adoring kiss on her palm. “San-“

“I love you.”

Sanya looks as shocked as I feel; I don’t think she intended to say that out loud. I crush her to me.

“I love you too, Sanya, so very much.”

I grab my courage with both hands to muster the strength to run my fingers through her silky hair and lightly down one faintly blushing cheek. I touch her chin and she responds by tilting her face towards me, lips slightly parted and eyes fluttering closed. My lips brush against hers very lightly at first, and I move back for just a moment before returning for more. We are surprisingly good at this, Sanya and I, as if this was something we did often, and we spend a long time delightfully and unhurriedly moving together before drawing apart enough to look at one another.

There’s so much more I want to say to her, so much more I want to ask, but my strength has run out and I can feel sleep beckoning me. There will be other opportunities to speak of everything, to learn anything Sanya may have to show me and to shower her with all the love I feel for her.

For right now though I whisper the words in her ear and scoot over to make some room for her to come lay down beside me. She smiles brightly at me and eagerly crawls into bed next to me, claiming my shoulder for her pillow and cuddles as close as she can. I smooth out the edge of the blanket and hold her contently when a thought occurs to me. When I speak my voice is quiet and touched by sleep, and hers is the barest murmur underneath my chin.

“Sanya?”

“Yes?”

“You never really mistook my room for yours, did you?”

A soft giggle is my answer.

“...you sneak.” I am grinning like a fool, but that is ok. Sanya loves me.

I allow sleep to take me, safe in the knowledge that she will still be here when I wake up. No matter what the world will throw at us from now on, we will create our own happiness, Sanya and I. Together.

And tomorrow is ours.



9 comments:

Anonymous said...

hi Ryuchan, I was just wondering if you'll continu you're KonoSetsu fanfics? I love them so much and I think your one of the best konosetsu writers out there!

Ryûchan said...

Hello there

Hmm, well what can I say? I certainly hope so, and it was my intention to watch all my Negima episodes again (for inspiration) before I discovered Strike Witches and my writing urge went that direction instead. I'll still try that later on, but no guarantees I'll be able to write about them soon. I love writing Konosetsu and the others, so hopefully something will come to me eventually.
Maybe I'll actually get to see the end of the show sometime and that'll do the trick. ^^;;

Thank you for the praise though, and I am very happy to hear that you like my Konosetsu fics. ^_^

Katajanmarja said...

Jag har hunnit ända hit. :) Och tycker att den här historian var särskilt vacker.

Ja, låt morgondagen vara deras.

Ryûchan said...

Katajanmarja,
*ler* Tack så mycket. ^_^

Ryûchan said...

Anonymous,
Thank you for stopping by my site, and for your kind praise. ^_^

Bartillet said...

Hey Ryuchan! I was wondering if you have watched the latest Strike Witches 2 episode 6! It was soo aww-worthy! I hope that gave you inspiration to write more strike witches fanfics!! With different couples~! ;)

Ryûchan said...

Bartillet,
Not yet, but I’m looking forward to it! I got sidetracked with some other things when I had planned to watch ep 1-7, but I will get there eventually.

Thanks for the wish for inspiration, I would love to write some more about them! Different couples though, erm, sorry, but no. I’m very pairing specific, once I’ve taken a liking to a pairing that’s it. So it isn’t particularly likely I’ll pair someone I’ve already written about up with someone new. But hey, surely Strike Witches fiction is picking up now, what with a second season and all. Maybe you’ll find your pairings still? (Or maybe try your hand at writing, too? More stories to read, moahahahaa XD)

/Ryûchan

Anonymous said...

Thank you for the story It was very good
I look forward to more

Ryûchan said...

Anonymous,
Thank you for reading it, and for taking a moment to tell me you liked it! I appreciate that. ^_^
/Ryûchan