Saturday, July 28, 2007

Klingon Heart pt 2

Star Trek Voyager fanfic. A growing friendship between Seven and B'Elanna leads to inventions that force Voyager to become planetbound for some time, but the planet chosen harbours its own secrets, and lives will be changed.
(Seven/B'Elanna, Janeway/Miral) Divided into five parts due to size.

Read Klingon Heart pt 2





Disclaimer: See part one.




Klingon Heart pt 2 of 5
--------------------------------------------
by Carola ”Ryûchan” Eriksson




“Well, they seem perfectly fine, both of them. They’re just sleeping.” The doctor declared, although he sounded as bewildered as everyone else present was feeling. Besides him, B’Elanna, Seven, Captain Janeway, Chakotay, Tuvok and Icheb were all crowded around the two reclining forms on the beds in Sickbay.

Seven had darted forward in the cave to pull Mezoti into her arms, and somehow that had removed whatever it was that was holding both unconscious forms upright. B’Elanna had caught her mother, and as the cave started to rumble and shake around them, she and Seven had carried their unexpected burdens out into the open air.

There had been a thick fog surrounding them, making it impossible to see where they were heading, but after just a few steps the fog mysteriously dispersed and they found themselves standing right beside The Hybrid. The storm was gone, and Tal Celes and her group came rushing out of their shuttle to meet the two shocked women. After contacting Voyager to report and receive orders, Tal ended up piloting The Hybrid back to base herself as neither of the little ship’s owners could be made to let go of the still unmoving forms. Both teams were made to come back to the ship while a security team was assigned to investigate the area.

They found nothing. No traces of the storm, no unusual readings... and no indication of the mountain peak that Seven and B’Elanna thought they had entered.

So now they were gathered in Sickbay while the EMH examined the new arrivals to hopefully find out just what they were. According to her daughter, Miral Torres was presumed to be dead, and was she not, the woman should still be in the Alpha Quadrant. Mezoti had last been heard from shortly after parting with Voyager, opting to live with her brothers Azan and Rebi and their people. It had been a few months by now since they had travelled outside of communication range, to Seven’s distress.

So far the doctor’s examinations had indicated that the sleeping people were either the genuine article or extremely good copies, and there was nothing wrong with them. In fact, he could not decide why they were sleeping so deeply and was just about to suggest using a stimulant when Miral twitched, groaned, then opened her eyes.

The Klingon woman muttered darkly something about drinking as she sat up, rubbing her eyes. “Where am I?” Miral demanded when she opened her eyes again, warily eyeing the people around her... until her eyes fell upon B’Elanna. Her eyes went wide and she gasped. “B’Elanna!”

She reached out to tentatively touch the side of B’Elanna’s face. “...daughter?”

Within a heartbeat the older woman had thrown herself from the bed and wrapped her still shocked daughter in a strong hug. “Lanna.” The elder Torres whispered emotionally, and finally the paralysis seemed to break in B’Elanna. Tears spilling down her cheeks, B’Elanna wrapped her own arms around Miral and hugged her back. “Mom.”

While most of the people present in Sickbay had their concentration on Miral and B’Elanna, only Seven and Icheb saw how Mezoti’s eyes snapped open and the girl immediately sat up stiffly. She glanced around and tilted her head. “Sickbay onboard Voyager.” Then she saw the wide-eyed and trembling Seven standing at her side, and unconsciously the girl’s lips drew up in a delighted smile. “Seven!”

Hearing the little girl’s voice broke Seven’s composure. Not saying a word Seven leaned over the bed and pulled Mezoti to her firmly, tucking the child’s head under her chin and holding her there as silent tears slid down pale cheeks. After a moment one of Seven’s arms let go of Mezoti to reach out to pull Icheb into the embrace as well, holding both children close.

The tearful reunions continued for a while, before B’Elanna drew back a little to look her mother in the face. “I thought you were dead.” She said, her voice thick with emotions.

“I was.” Was Miral’s simple yet chilling answer.

Before anyone had the chance to comment or question that statement, Mezoti’s clear, controlled voice responded. “I believe I was deactivated as well.”

The attention in the room immediately refocused on the small girl, and Seven released her just enough to be able to lean down and look into the child’s eyes. “Elaborate.”

Mezoti nodded slightly, once.

“Four point two days after our last transmission to Voyager, the Wysanti colony was attacked by the Borg. The Wysanti had not the means to resist, but still attempted to do so. It was futile. When unable to devise another course of action, Azan, Rebi and myself decided we would not be assimilated again. We were the only ones present in the vessel when we set it to self-destruct.”

A strangled, tortured sound escaped Seven’s throat as she crushed the girl to her. Wide, wild blue eyes traced to Janeway’s briefly, and Janeway felt the horrified pain and grief in them like a blow to her stomach. Seven turned away, tilting her head into the little girl in her arms, and her body began to shake violently.

Icheb sank down to his knees. “Rebi... Azan...” The stricken youth whispered as tears streamed down his face.

“There was very little... pain.” Mezoti spoke up from inside Seven’s tight embrace. Her voice, that until now had been calm and precise, suddenly sounded very small and lost.

Gasping, B’Elanna let go of her mother and took a handful of hesitant steps towards Seven. Once she got close enough a trembling arm reached out and drew B’Elanna in with a blind desperation. B’Elanna responded by pulling both Seven and the weeping boy to her, offering them what support she could in their grief.

“Oh dear god...” Janeway whispered weakly.

Miral Torres studied her daughter surrounded by grieving ex-Borg, then turned her pale gaze at Janeway. “Captain Janeway, I presume?”

“Yes.” Janeway blinked. “How did you know?”

Miral looked back at her daughter. “When I met B’Elanna in... the afterlife, she was confronted by representations of the people that meant most to her, you among them.” B’Elanna heard this and raised her head slightly to share a look and a nod with her mother. “Captain Janeway, could this reunion be permitted to be held someplace other than...” Miral looked around. “...your medical facility?”

“Of course.” Janeway’s voice was still choked. “Unless there is a medical reason not to move from the Sickbay, doctor? No? Then I would suggest we take this to my quarters instead.” Seeing Tuvok about to protest, she quickly intercepted. “You will come as well, Tuvok, and you can bring some security outside the room if you wish.”

“But I do believe this is a private matter, and there is no threat to fear at the moment.”

--------------------------


It took B’Elanna a while to steer her little group of unravelled former Borg out of Sickbay and to Janeway’s quarters, but eventually they got there. Seven sat down in the corner of Janeway’s couch with Mezoti still in her lap, and Icheb sat on the floor at her feet. B’Elanna sat herself close enough to Seven that they casually touched along their sides, with Miral at the other end of the couch and Janeway and Tuvok in the two armchairs.

Miral and Janeway both observed the interaction between Seven and B’Elanna in silence.

Janeway looked at them and saw how closely the children sat to Seven, how the three of them frequently sought to touch one another somewhat awkwardly, as if to reassure themselves that the others where there. How the children sought their safety in Seven, and how they formed a unit, a family, of their own. A family that had been torn apart.

That had been torn apart by her, Kathryn Janeway, and her good intentions. Janeway wanted to cry.

Miral watched how her daughter, apparently without realizing it herself, put an arm around the tall blonde and made her lean in towards herself. The blonde’s rigid posture sagged at the touch, and she leaned only too willingly into the shorter woman, clearly drawing strength and comfort from B’Elanna’s touch. Occasionally B’Elanna’s free hand would pat the girl’s tiny knee or the boy’s dark head reassuringly, even though B’Elanna’s eyes didn’t leave Miral. It was quite obvious that there was something going on there, and Miral was very eager to find out what.

When they had sat in silence for long enough according to Miral, she looked at Janeway expectantly. Janeway looked as if she was at a loss for where to begin or what to say, so Miral took pity on her.

“Why don’t I start?” Miral suggested, flashing a lopsided smile at Janeway. “I was dead. I was in StoVoKor, although my memories of it are fading fast... I can’t quite recall what I was doing, only that I turned around and this light came towards me. When it reached me I could hear... no, _feel_ B’Elanna calling me, and I moved towards her. Something pulled me then, and the next thing I know I woke up in your Sickbay.”

“I don’t know what I am doing here or why, but I feel very much like... me. If there is anything wrong with me, or any duplicity, I do not know about it.” The proud Klingon said quite honestly, raising her chin slightly as she spoke.

B’Elanna nodded. “Captain, it’s my mother. I can’t explain how I know it, but I just do... its _mom_.”

“Right now your gut feeling is as good as anything else we’ve got, B’Elanna.” Janeway sighed. “I have a feeling we’ll be in for a long haul. Does anyone want some tea?”

Miral lit up. “I would love some, or, if perhaps I could have some coffee? It’s been a while.” She smirked at her daughter. “I’ve got to take advantage of having a body again, no?”

“A woman after my own heart.” Janeway joked lightly as she walked over to the replicator. “Coffee for myself, Miral and... you B’Elanna? Allright. Tea for Tuvok and Seven, but what about you children?” Three voices chimed in a chorus of ‘I do not require a liquid supplement at this time’, apparently without even noticing it themselves, and with a slight smile Janeway decided not to replicate that tea for Seven after all.

“Captain.” Mezoti spoke quietly, obviously deep in thought. “I clearly recall the moment of my deactivation, but there is nothing after that event. I was thinking of Seven and counting down to the explosion, then I remember nothing until this bright light came. Seven was calling me from within it, and I responded. Then I woke up in Sickbay.”

“You may access my memory if you wish.” The child added seriously.

“I believe that I might have a solution as to how to verify their identity, Captain.” Tuvok cocked his eyebrow slightly at Janeway.

“A Vulcan mind meld?” Miral asked and sipped from her coffee cup. “Mmmmm, coffee!”

Janeway tried to hide her smile behind her own cup, while B’Elanna rolled her eyes affectionately.

“No, although that would be an option.” Tuvok looked at Mezoti. “It was my thought that if someone or something were to use Seven of Nine and Lieutenant Torres’ memories to create facsimiles of Miral Torres and Mezoti, then those facsimiles would have only the knowledge that was contained in the minds of Seven of Nine and Lieutenant Torres. If that is so, then the identity of Mezoti could be verified by Mezoti telling us something that neither Seven of Nine nor Lieutenant Torres knows about her, but that another crewmember knows.”

“You want her to tell us a secret.” Janeway interpreted. “Something only, say, Naomi knows, or someone else onboard.”

“It wouldn’t have to be a secret, it could be an event or a conversation that Seven doesn’t know about, too.” B’Elanna added, smiling encouragingly at the little girl.

Mezoti thought about it. “That will be difficult, as I am certain Seven knows most that transpires onboard this vessel, but I shall try.”

“I like green, growing things, things that live, and I like making things. I dislike leeola root and always having to obey orders. I also dislike Thomas Eugene Paris, as he often speaks inappropriate things to or about my... about Seven.”

B’Elanna growled slightly at the girl’s words, causing her mother to give her an amused look.

“I think Naomi’s hair is pretty but Seven is the prettiest of all, and I think Seven and Lieutenant Torres will get married in a Klingon ceremony, unlike Naomi who thinks they will choose a human wedding.”

B’Elanna nearly swallowed her tongue and blushed bright red all the way to the tips of her ears. Janeway choked on her coffee and Miral sent a big, toothy grin at her embarrassed daughter, waggling her eyebrows teasingly.

“The replicator in Captain Janeway’s quarters fail to produce a properly cooked pot roast because it is misaligned, and every time the Captain tries to repair it herself, the misalignment is altered but not diminished.” Janeway blinked in surprise. “Ensign Tabor has wagered a month’s worth of replicator rations to Crewman Chell that Lieutenant Torres and Seven will instigate a mating ritual in Engineering rather than engage in physical combat.” Mezoti pursed her lips thoughtfully. “I believe that Ensign Tabor is not familiar with Klingon courtship rituals and that they can take the appearance of hostile altercations.”

Miral burst out into a hearty guffaw while B’Elanna’s blush darkened several hues.

“B’Elanna and I would not obstruct the work in Engineering in that manner!” Seven was quite indignant, sitting a little more straight in the couch.

“Indeed.” Tuvok was not impressed with all this emotional behaviour when there were important questions to address. “I will seek to confirm this information with Ensign Tabor, Crewman Chell and Naomi Wildman.”

Mezoti turned to Seven. “Can I see Naomi later, Seven?”

“I believe that Commander Tuvok would like to verify your information with Naomi Wildman before you meet her.” Seven stroked some hair from the girl’s face. “But when Commander Tuvok and Naomi Wildman’s mother both agree, I will take you to see her.”

“That settles it for the little one...” Miral smiled at Mezoti. “...but what about me?”

“I know you’re you, mom.”

“Thank you Lanna.” Suddenly Miral looked mischievous. “Of course, I could tell you a few things that none of you know, if you want? I don’t think you would be able to verify it though.” The way Miral smirked made Janeway suspect that the information Miral had in mind was not meant for mixed company, at least not with minors in the room.

“More coffee?” Janeway hurried to interrupt.

“Why yes please.” Miral leaned towards Janeway as she filled her cup, smiling charmingly.

“You know...” Janeway smiled herself as she sat down and leaned towards the other woman. “I’ve been wanting to meet the mother of our Chief Engineer for quite a few years now.”

“Oh?” Miral smirked at B’Elanna. “What did she do, and how many bones were broken?”

“Hey!”

“You know her quite well I hear...” Janeway grinned. “But no, during these years that B’Elanna has served under my command she has been a constant source of pride for me and this ship. Without her we would have been lost a long time ago.” She smiled gently at the young woman that gazed at her with such affection and gratitude. “I think you would have been proud of her too.”

“I always have been.” Miral stated gently. “Whatever else might have been, Lanna always made me proud to be her mother.”

A startled little sob emerged from B’Elanna at the unexpected words. She wiped at her eyes quickly, feeling a bit self-conscious, but mostly just filled with awe. She had never known her mother’s approval had meant so much to her.

Seven surprised them all by leaning in and planting a tender kiss on B’Elanna’s cheek.

As Janeway watched the proud young woman that had been one of her very best friends and almost a daughter to her for several years be moved to silent, grateful tears, it truly drove home the importance of a child knowing it’s parent’s love and approval. Then Janeway’s gaze wandered to the young woman holding B’Elanna’s hand and looking at her with surprising tenderness.

There was no ‘almost’ in the way Seven was a daughter to Janeway. And what was more, she knew it was a mutual bond between them although Seven would never presume that much. Yes, she, Kathryn Janeway, who had put her career before a personal life long ago understanding that children would never be a part of her life, had travelled 70,000 light years from home... to find the daughter of her heart. And it was about time she started showing it.

“Voyager, and I, were blessed to have one so unique and irreplaceable individual such as B’Elanna. People like her don’t come along very often.” Janeway caught Seven’s eyes. “But somehow we were blessed a second time with you, Seven. And I will thank whatever lucky star that brought you to me.”

It might not have been much, not have been the declaration of maternal love that Janeway wanted to make, but looking at a set of very wide, very sparkling pale blue eyes, she knew it was enough for now. Anything more than this would have to be sometime when they were alone, as Janeway suspected that not only might her young charge shed a few tears, she herself would probably end up bawling.

She smiled to herself as she pictured for a moment what her own mother would say when introduced to her very adult, very statuesque, adopted grandchild.

Then she sighed. “Tuvok, how can you give the impression of squirming and fidgeting when you’re not even moving?”

“I would do no such thing.” Tuvok’s eyebrow rose. “I would however wish to check Mezoti’s story as soon as possible, if there is no more to add?”

“No, you go ahead Tuvok, you don’t have to sit in on our emotional chitchats any longer.” Janeway smiled. “I’m sure I’m quite safe with both B’Elanna and Seven present. Oh, and Icheb too, of course.”

Tuvok nodded. “Yes, I believe that Seven of Nine and Lieutenant Torres would allow no harm to come to you Captain. Security will remain just outside should you need them.” With that Tuvok got up and left the room.

“Well...” Miral drawled, crossing her legs. “the little one wouldn’t pose much threat, but you know...” She bared her incisors roguishly at Janeway. “I could still be dangerous. I _am_ Klingon, after all.”

“On the contrary. I was Borg, and I have retained much of my Borg enhancements. I could pose a threat.” Mezoti informed the grinning Klingon quite seriously.

Janeway smiled indulgently at them both. “Yes, you are both quite fierce... Mezoti is about to fall asleep I think, and you Miral are curled up in my couch like a cat. I feel quite threatened.”

“Besides, I don’t think Tuvok can protect me from your kind of danger, Miral.” Janeway burred slightly, giving the other woman a quirked look that made Miral’s delighted smile that much wider.

“Why thank you...Captain?” Miral purred and leaned a bit more towards Janeway.

“Call me Kathryn, please.” And Kathryn smiled, quite charmed by the other woman’s cocky smirk.

Then she noticed with a start that B’Elanna was gaping at them in shock and that Seven’s ocular implant had climbed quite high, and promptly blushed. “But would you look at the time... the children will need to get some sleep, I’m sure.” Kathryn shook her head slightly at herself, chagrined. “Perhaps we should call it a day.”

“Yes indeed, now where will we house our guests...” She continued as she got to her feet, making the others in the room do the same. “Little Mezoti will of course stay with you Seven, right?” Seven nodded as she settled the child on her hip. “What of...”

“Mom will sleep on my couch.” B’Elanna interjected, suddenly worried what her mother might suggest otherwise. Miral merely smirked at her daughter, then paused just inside the door to touch Kathryn’s hand.

“It’s been a pleasure meeting you, Kathryn.” Before the slightly blushing Kathryn had the opportunity to respond, Miral had been pushed outside by a scowling B’Elanna who just grunted in parting to her superior officer.

“Good evening to you, Captain.” Icheb said politely, bowing slightly, before leaving. That left Seven and Mezoti. Seven stopped just inside the door, appearing to hesitate.

“Seven...” Kathryn spoke gently and touched the young woman’s cheek. “...will you be allright?”

Seven’s eyes darted around a little before meeting Kathryn’s gaze. “Mezoti needs to rest.” She stated simply, but her eyes showed the pain that made Kathryn wish she could just keep Seven with her, hug her and let her cry on her shoulder. But Seven had a little girl of her own that she needed to be strong for.

A look of understanding passed between them, then Kathryn just nodded and stepped back, allowing Seven to join the others outside. The doors closed behind her, leaving Kathryn Janeway with a lot to think about.

--------------------------


Icheb left for his quarters after bidding the others goodnight, and B’Elanna reassured Seven quietly that Harry would look after the boy. Security trailed after them as they left Janeway’s quarters, apparently with the orders to stand guard outside of whatever area Miral and Mezoti would be spending the night. B’Elanna shrugged at the thought, and spoke quietly to Seven before she would head off towards Cargo Bay 2.

“Do you need to regenerate tonight?”

“No, I do not.” Seven shifted the child on her hip slightly. “Why do you ask, B’Elanna?”

“Umm...” B’Elanna glanced over at her very interested mother, then looked away and bit her lip. “I was thinking maybe you and Mezoti could stay over at my place tonight?”

She saw the ocular implant go up, and intercepted the question. “Mom gets the couch, but I thought that maybe, if you don’t mind that is, that we could...” B’Elanna felt her cheeks heat up slightly. “that you and Mezoti would share the bed with me. Like a sleepover?”

“Right, you probably don’t know what that is...” B’Elanna mumbled at Seven’s blank look. Rubbing her ridges slightly, she sighed. “Look, I just want to keep you guys close by tonight, allright?”

And it was.

Ignoring her mother’s smirks and meaning glances B’Elanna made up the couch for Miral, then settled Seven and Mezoti in her own bed, before squeezing into it herself, spooning Seven just to fit them all on the bed. Normally neither she nor Seven would go to bed at that hour, but it had been a long, trying day for them.

Her mother was sleeping on the couch.

Security were standing guard outside of her quarters.

The strange and painful experience in the mysterious mountain.

The return of little Mezoti, and the horrifying news of the children’s end so shortly after leaving the ship.

It was all too much to deal with at that moment, B’Elanna would have to brave the questions and the consequences in the morning. For right now though, all she wanted was to close her eyes, bury her face in blonde hair, and sleep for a while with the scent of her woman comforting her.

A brown eye snapped open. Her woman?

_Her_ woman? Since when did she think of Seven as being hers? That was getting way, way ahead of herself, she had no claim on Seven... they had barely begun dating. And B’Elanna had no idea what it all meant to Seven beyond attraction.

The woman in question chose that moment to sigh almost inaudibly and entwine the fingers of one hand with B’Elanna’s, pulling the joint hands around the child sleeping tucked into her chest. Seven held Mezoti close, and this way B’Elanna was holding them both.

Which was just fine with her.

As she snuggled into the sweet-smelling hair it came to B’Elanna that she had gotten it wrong. It was _Seven_ who had marched out of the Collective and into B’Elanna’s life, right into her heart... and laid claim to her. She was _Seven’s_.

Oh B’Elanna had resisted, had fought it for so long, but now her fighting was over. Seven had won without even knowing it. Those graceful hands held B’Elanna’s heart in them, and B’Elanna could only hope Seven would realize the power she held before that heart was crushed.

And that was OK. It would be OK.

Somehow.

--------------------------


To say that the next day, or days for that matter, was crazy would have been an understatement of the monumental kind. For starters it began with B’Elanna waking up with the woman she was so crazy for cuddled up in her arms, with said woman’s daughter sprawled across them both, and the sound of B’Elanna’s mother cursing at the replicator to give her coffee and pancakes in the other room. And things just kept on going from there.

No tests that the doctor or anyone else could come up with showed any difference in Mezoti from her previous time on Voyager, just as nothing appeared out of place with Miral. No trace of the mountain could be found either, so with the exception of the ever vigilant Tuvok, those most involved began to relax slightly.

Mezoti was reunited with her best friend Naomi, the young half-Katarian deciding things for everyone by escaping her mother’s watchful eye and racing down the corridors of the ship until she located the other girl. Naomi’s exuberant hug would have floored another child, but being a former Borg, little Mezoti merely hugged back a bit awkwardly, never budging, and assured her friend that she had been missed as well.

Miral Torres had approved, being a firm believer that a real hug should be strong enough to at least threaten to break a few bones, then proceeded to demonstrate this on her laughing daughter.

The crew of Voyager in general were very curious, but also a bit apprehensive, about the two new arrivals. Mezoti was a familiar face, and caused little stir besides the obvious questions of how she had appeared there, but Miral was another matter. There was much curiosity regarding her, but at the same time many kept their distance in fear of a potentially violent Klingon among them.

This caused Janeway to feel that she needed to apologize to the other woman for her crew’s behaviour, but Miral was surprisingly understanding. Miral explained that she had spent so many years living among humans that she was quite used to this reaction, and that at least the crew of Voyager had valid reasons to be wary of her presence.

This in turn lead to Janeway taking some time off from overseeing the construction to spend talking with Miral, B’Elanna and Seven, with Mezoti and Naomi playing Kadis-kot nearby. Janeway mentioned that she wanted someone to take the Hybrid on a brief away mission, planting a communication beacon at the location where Voyager was next expected to contact Starfleet. With a few strategically placed booster beacons and the new improved communications systems, Janeway had hopes of being able to keep a steady connection to the Alpha Quadrant for the duration of Voyager’s stay on the planet, or failing that, at least notify her superiors why Voyager would not be at the rendezvous points as scheduled.

That Miral requested a message be sent to the Alpha Quadrant to inform people of her spectacular return to the ranks of the living was not particularly surprising considering she still had many relatives that were alive. That Miral grew quite sombre and explained that there was someone else, someone not of her House, that she wished to be informed and that she needed to tell B’Elanna about, was more unexpected.

“Do you wish for us to give you both some privacy?” Kathryn asked with some concern, as it was clear from Miral’s expression that the upcoming conversation would be difficult. Both Seven and B’Elanna sat up straight and waited for Miral’s answer.

“No, not unless Lanna prefers it.” Miral sighed. “She could probably need some friendly support for this, though.”

B’Elanna swallowed hard and clasped Seven’s hand in her own before nodding to her mother to go on. Miral just looked at her only child for a long moment, as if silently debating something with herself.

“It’s about your father, Lanna.” She said at last, sounding very tired and looking as if she expected B’Elanna to explode at the mere mention of the man.

B’Elanna gasped a little and clutched Seven’s hand a bit harder. “G-go ahead mom, it’s OK.”

Miral nodded. “Allright. There are quite a few things about the divorce that you never knew...” She made a face. “about him. About me. About... other things.”

“I was always considered the... black sheep of my family, because I was considered far too timid for a true daughter of our House.” Miral made a wry, self-conscious face at the comment. “To fully understand that you would have had to meet my sisters, but never mind that for now. Eventually I scandalized everyone by marrying a human man, B’Elanna’s father, though the fact that he was human was not as bad as the fact that he was no warrior, was found lacking in strength, and worse, held my Klingon heritage in a great deal of contempt.”

“All those that spoke against me and my marriage then would be proven right. I married a human man and let him drive me from my family, then abandon me.” Miral’s voice was low with remembered pain and shame, and she avoided to look at B’Elanna. “Worse, I let him dishonour me.”

“He disappeared one night without a word, sending me the divorce documents a day later by delivery. I tracked him down as soon as I could, a few weeks later, and gave him his documents. I also divorced him in my own way, the Klingon way.” Miral’s lips twisted in an evil little smirk. “My ...slap... dislocated his jaw, but it was enough to satisfy my anger then.”

“I did not find out until three months later that as soon as his jaw had been fixed, he married a human woman by the name of Laura Matthews, who four months after our divorce delivered him a daughter, Beatrice.” She looked pained when B’Elanna gasped again, more loudly this time.

“I... thought that I could raise B’Elanna to be proud that she was Klingon somehow, make her forget the human part of her heritage that I saw as only causing her pain and inner conflict. That I could make her strong enough, Klingon enough, not to let herself be hurt by weakness as I had.” A bitter smile shadowed the edges of Miral’s lips. “I forgot that my little girl was human too, and ended up just making her hate me and her Klingon heritage all the more.”

“For that I am...” Miral looked into B’Elanna’s shocked and teary eyes at last, struggling to get the words out. “...sorry.”

In the absolute stillness of the moment, a clear young voice spoke up from across the room.

“Klingons do not apologize.” Mezoti stated primly, startling Naomi who had not heard the adults’ conversation from their location.

Three heads turned to look questioningly at Seven, who shrugged slightly. “Little ex-Borg pitchers have enhanced ears.” She explained with a tiny smirk and a touch of amusement. “Mezoti, what have we discussed regarding eavesdropping protocol?”

“That I should refrain from adding my observations to a conversation that does not include me, especially if those speaking are under the misconception that I cannot hear them even though I have Borg-enhanced hearing.” Mezoti responded dutifully, before adding with a scowl. “It is a stupid protocol.”

The child’s words made Seven’s smile a tiny bit wider. “It is the polite conduct. Comply.”

“Yes, Seven.” The child muttered and went back to her game.

Seven nodded, then smirked at Kathryn. “Captain, have your jaw become fixed in that position? Shall I contact the doctor?”

Kathryn’s jaw snapped shut with a tiny clicking sound, making Miral chuckle lightly, before adding ruefully “No, Klingons do not apologize... but I am not exactly your average Klingon.”

She eyed Janeway in a way that could only be described as flirtatious. “I have come to appreciate many human things over the years.”

The strangled little noise that came from B’Elanna brought Miral back to her story however. “Where was I? Oh yes, B’Elanna’s childhood.”

“My Lanna always had fire, and gumption. She would always stand up against what she thought was unfair treatment, no matter who was the recipient.” Miral’s pride in her daughter was unmistakable. “I remember when she was thirteen and we were attending a family dinner at my mother’s home...” Miral chuckled at the memory.

B’Elanna groaned. “Mom, please!”

Seven leaned forward intently. “Proceed.”

“Well, one of her older cousins had been teasing her about her dislike of Klingon traditions, and finally called her a weak half-breed in front of the entire family. He was old enough to know better, and was trained to be a warrior, but my little B’Elanna got angry and beat him up in front of everyone.” Miral smiled at her wincing daughter. “I was so proud.”

“Why did you not interfere?” Seven demanded, frowning.

Miral looked surprised. “Oh, but if I had interfered it would have been the same as saying that her cousin was right, and Lanna was too weak to stand up for herself. Instead she proved that she is a true daughter of our House, and no-one in our family would say otherwise.”

“In fact, my sisters have often told me that B’Elanna is more truly a child of my mother’s blood than I am.” Miral sighed a little. “Especially since we heard that you had joined the Maquis... they are all proud of you, Lanna.”

B’Elanna looked away, blinking hard in an attempt to suppress the tears that wanted to spill.

“The day before you ran away from home to join Starfleet Academy, I was contacted by Laura Matthews.”

--------------------------


Miral looked distant, as if she was lost in the memories as she recalled them for B’Elanna and the others. “The first time Laura contacted me it... unsettled me, and I paid less attention than I should have to B’Elanna’s actions. I was also short in temper with her without meaning to, and our last conversation for far too many years would be the big fight we had that night.”

She smiled wistfully. “I thought the last words we would have spoken to one another while alive would have been in anger. It seems I might have another chance now though.”

“Laura’s first message to me was very hesitant, it was clear that she was frightened of the violent beast of a Klingon that John no doubt had told her about. But she contacted me anyway, as one mother to another, out of concern for my little B’Elanna’s welfare.”

“There is a disease in John’s family, a genetical ailment that is extremely rare and almost always lethal. The only hope to save a child that has the disease is if it is found very early in life so the child can be treated in time.”

“Laura informed me that she had recently been divorced from John, but that the reason she contacted me was to warn me of the disease so that we could have B’Elanna tested for it. Apparently John had neglected to tell her of this disease just as he had me, and Laura’s eldest child, Beatrice, had died from it. Her younger daughter, Leonarda, did not have it, nor did the two older sons that Laura had found out John had with other women, which left just my B’Elanna to warn.”

Miral raised her hands to stop the alarmed questions that were about to be voiced by Kathryn and Seven both. “I contacted the Academy and had them test B’Elanna there, she does not have it. In fact, it is not believed to pass over in the genetic makeup of someone who is not completely human.” She smiled reassuringly. “B’Elanna and whatever children she might have are safe from this.”

“It was too late for little Beatrice though. Laura and I kept in contact quite a lot during the time that followed, as Laura struggled with the loss of her eldest child, the worry for her youngest, and the knowledge of John’s infidelity. We became friends, as unlikely as it sounds.”

“I’ve spent a lot of time with Laura and Leo over the years, so much so that young Leo began referring to me as her ‘aunt’ Miral.” Miral smiled. “She was an easy child to grow fond of, as she reminds me so much of my Lanna.”

Miral inhaled deeply. “The people that I would like most to inform that I am no longer dead are Laura Matthews and Leo Torres. They... were there when I died.” Miral’s voice grew soft. “Leo, though young and human, when I died she... howled for me.”

B’Elanna flinched as if she had been hit. Seven noticed this and pulled B’Elanna’s free hand over until she was holding them both in her own.

The group was silent for a moment, but when it was apparent that Miral had finished speaking Kathryn felt compelled to take over.

“I’ll make sure they get a message, as well as your sisters.” Kathryn was besieged by questions she wanted to ask, there was so much they didn’t know. How had Miral died? When had she died? The other woman hadn’t mentioned either, and perhaps it was to sensitive a subject to ask about. “Would you like to put together a personal message?”

And then there was that.

Miral looked at her and nodded. “Yes, I would, thank you.”

“No, I mean... _personal_.” Kathryn intoned awkwardly, biting her lip slightly. “You know, _personal_?” She stared at her hands, unable to look up in case she would happen to see another strange look on Seven or B’Elanna’s faces.

“Perso- ...oh.” Miral bared her incisors in a delighted grin. “Kathryn, are you asking me if Laura and I were lovers?”

“Mom!”

Kathryn turned crimson.

“Oh my, I nearly forgot, have to get going... duty calls and all that, see you girls later...” She fired off rapidly and got to her feet, preparing to make a run for it. Miral was faster.

“We were not.” The hand on Kathryn’s arm was not restricting, yet it kept her from moving all the same. “I prefer women with quite a bit more... steel in their spine,” Miral smirked cheekily at Kathryn. “and my very timid _friend_ prefers men.”

And Captain Kathryn Janeway, who had faced everything the Delta Quadrant could throw at her, including the Borg Queen... mumbled something inaudible and fled from a flirtatious Klingon woman.

Miral chuckled good-naturedly, then B’Elanna smacked her in the back of her head.

“What do you think you are _doing_...” B’Elanna hissed just as Mezoti and Naomi came up to them.

“That did not go well.” Mezoti observed. “Perhaps you should clarify your intentions towards the Captain? I can assist you in replicating crockery, if you wish.”

Miral ignored her daughter, smiled and bent down to scoop Mezoti up and hold the child on her hip. “You think I need to clarify my intentions, huh? Perhaps not a bad idea little one, but I think we should wait with the crockery.” Miral was very charmed, and very amused, by the serious little girl.

“In my experience, with human women it works a lot better with flowers... or chocolate. It makes a better impression and it is not so messy.”

“The Captain likes coffee-flavoured ice cream.” Naomi volunteered. “And she likes chocolate, as long as it doesn’t have fruits or berries in it.”

“Does she now...” Miral scooped up Naomi on her other hip, and chatting with the little girls about chocolate and ice cream, left the room and her gaping daughter behind.




2 comments:

Anonymous said...

haha! lol Miral is fun to watch^^ flirting with Kathrine no less! XD

Ryûchan said...

Spikesagitta,
Aahh, I liked writing Miral. And as for flirting with Janeway, well, Captains need love too. ^_^